Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Jonathan learns about soup

Normally Jonathan has been content to be bounced in his bouncy seat on the floor while we eat. Recently, however, he has decided that this is boring and he would rather sit on a lap to see what is going on. He's rather a binary kind of child. 0 (quiet) is happy, 1(loud) is change something.

So, for the first time I held him on my lap during supper and Gayla served corn bread and Mexican bean soup. I like to eat the corn bread first so its warm and melts the butter properly. Jonathan sat there looking rather interested and even grabbed the side of the plate recently vacated of corn bread. I probably should have done a little better at recognizing a potential disaster in the making, but who in their right mind would stick parts of their body into someone else's soup.

So, I've got this bowl of soup sitting out of reach with a nice blob of sour cream on top. The moment I replace the plate with the bowl, the silly kid sticks his entire hand through the blob of sour cream and into my soup. I don't believe he had ever encountered a non-transparent liquid substance before. Maybe he though his hand had disappeared, or maybe he didn't like the hot, but his eyes got really big, we counted down 3, 2, 1 and he let out a truely significant amount of noise. It took several minutes for Gayla to get him calmed down. I hope he learned something, but somehow, I suspect I'll be changing my eating habits as his long-term memory isn't that great yet.

It's fairly gross, but I ended up putting his hand in my mouth to get the hot soup off of it quickly. He drools on that hand. Ick. He didn't get burned and he experienced something new so all ended well.

2 comments:

Millie said...

Its fun to discover the (somethimes rather disgusting) things you'll do for your child, isn't it? Hope you're enjoying it!

Harvester said...

He's great fun. Part of me is curious about the disgusting things you've had to do, but maybe I don't want to know. Hmmm.